Ian's Excel Add-in Ribbon Menu

Excel file doesn't import

• miclaw86
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #1 by miclaw86
Excel file doesn't import was created by miclaw86
Hi Ian, thanks for the great add-in! When i import a file it loads up then the last step before it wants to save, the excel text gets wiped and im left with only the top three lines of data in the excel sheet, and the balance of the BOQ hasn't loaded. Do you know what could be the problem? First time this has happened after years of use..
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by miclaw86.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
3 years 8 months ago #2 by Ian
Replied by Ian on topic Excel file doesn't import
Glad you're finding my addin useful.

Does the problem that you're having occur when importing one particular file, or on all files that you import?

• miclaw86
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #3 by miclaw86
Replied by miclaw86 on topic Excel file doesn't import
Hi Ian,

It seems to be one or two files not all - i measured in locations and when printing selected locations to PDF and extracting the txt file, the PDF prints fine but some txt files cannot import into excel..

More
3 years 8 months ago - 3 years 8 months ago #4 by Ian
The fact that not all files are affected indicates that it is something unique in the content of those files. This could be caused by something such as an out of place punctuation mark, a double space, or an unexpected character.

If you're able to, uploading one of those files for me to look at would help.
Last edit: 3 years 8 months ago by Ian. Reason: Corrected URL for file upload.

• miclaw86
  • Topic Author
More
3 years 8 months ago #5 by miclaw86
Replied by miclaw86 on topic Excel file doesn't import
Hi Ian,

Interestingly - if I print all locations and extract a txt file then it imports without issue to excel, and i would assume that same unique character would also exist in the full txt file. The import error only happens on two of the four print locations. i will upload the files for you to assess. Many thanks!

More
3 years 8 months ago #6 by Ian
Thank you for uploading the file.

The contents of the file show that there was no information useful for importing included in the file.

This image shows an extract from your file.

The following image shows an extract from a typical file exported from WinQS.

There are no descriptions or quantities in the file that you are importing.

I am not able to say why WinQS exported your data in the way that it did, but it could be related to items with zero quantities in those locations.